Google Maps listings add ‘temporarily closed’ option during coronavirus outbreak
Posted: 26th March 2020
Google has recently announced that during the current coronavirus pandemic outbreak, business owners can mark their establishments as ‘temporarily closed’ through the Google My Business portal. This change would appear on Google Maps as well as Google Search Results.
People are frantically searching online to figure out which stores are still open, or have different opening times. This new feature will make it easier for people to see if their favourite stores are still open. Helping them adhere to the guidelines of staying inside unless absolutely necessary.
Google has urged businesses that are operating under new opening hours to update their listings accordingly using the ‘special hours’ feature. This new feature is only for those companies that have had to temporarily close their doors, due to not being a necessity. They have also mentioned that they will be using government data and other sources to make some changes automatically to keep up with the demand of new queries.
This feature is simple to activate.
- Sign into your Google My Business account.
- Click Info in the menu found on the left hand side of the screen.
- You should see a section titled Close this Business on Google.
- You will need to expand this menu by clicking on the arrow.
- From here you can click Mark as temporarily closed.